Saturday, April 7, 2007

Saturday

Many many years ago today a man called Jesus may or may not have been lying dead in a grave in a town called Jerusalem. It must have been dark in there, what with the big egg shaped stone blocking the entrance (i was one told it was egg shaped..honest). This, no doubt, would not have bothered him if he were indeed dead or if, as some believe, he was in some kind of temporary coma. If he was both alive and conscious, however, he must have been pretty freaked out I reckon.

Even if you accept the Orthodox account that he died on the cross and was buried there, he still presumably experienced some time alive in the dark at the moment when he resurrected and before the early sunday light welcomed him back to the land of his murderers. Ok, this might have only been a few seconds. Or maybe he hung around for awhile waiting for the right time to make his move. I wonder how for how long exactly; when exactly did he wake from his sojourn in Hades (where one hopes he preformed more than a few miracles?).

Maybe the angel (or was it angels, I forget) who told Mary of Jesus' resurrection actually performed the resurrection on Jesus in the same way Jesus resurrected Lazarus? Hmmm, now there's a thought. Scripture, after all, does say God 'rose' Jesus from the dead and not that Jesus raised himself. Angels have been known, on more than a few occasions, to perform God's bidding. If this happened, maybe it was never dark in the cave at all, not at least when Jesus awoke. The natural angelic luminosity of the Messenger/s would have invested the little cave with light even while he was dead.

Or maybe he wasnt there at all, maybe he hadn't died on the cross at all (after all, he hadn't been up for vary long had he?), maybe he hadn't even been crucified? Or maybe he was there in the grave and was dead, and like most dead people, being dead remained dead. As a permanently dead person, maybe he remained dead where he was, or maybe he was somehow spirited away as a dead person by living people good at bribing Roman guards to be and remain dead somewhere else....maybe in India no less! No, perhaps not India. If he is buried as some say in India, I reckon he probably walked there while alive.

Blah blah blah....

When I was studying Theology one of my lecturers wondered why there are never any Theological jokes. I know what he means. In this my piece above I suppose I was trying to be funny. I imagine that to some/many(?) trying to be funny about Christianity necessarily means being cynical about Christinaity..and that therefore I am an unbeliever etc. But I am not an 'unbeliever'. And I am not a 'believer' either. I am what I am (surprise surprise) and do not belong to a label. It is also no great revelation to say that what happened to Jesus on that Saturday/Saturday had nothing to do with me (unless I'm actually God, or at least some part of me is?), and so does not depend on what I think about it.

Suffice it to say my point is that finding something humorous or seeking to find humour in something, does not necessary mean that one is being derisory or cynical about it.

I think if I rose from the dead I'd probably rather do it with a luminous angel present than in the dark, that's for certain. Anyway, that's for tomorrow. Todays is raiding hell day. Whooppeee!


No comments: