Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Teaching English Literature

My work circumstances have changed since Christmas. I no longer, since my contract expired, work for SAP, the enormous, surprisingly unwell-known German computer software firm. Therefore, I’m more properly freelance in my operations, as opposed to being freelance ‘on the side’- alongside a meaty contract. There are advantages and disadvantages to my new circumstances (though it's possible I may work for SAP a bit, I’m still waiting to hear). The main disadvantage regards Mammon, the God of this World, who regards me now with somewhat less favour.. This is a little dull of him, if you ask me, but, hey, he and I have not always seen eye to eye. In response to his squeezing tactic, I am committed to ‘eating out’ less, something which, beyond increasing the washing up workload, has surprisingly found me happy to be spending more time in. So that’s an unexpected plus. And who knows, I might even learn to cook properly in consequence. Jessica is happy to be seeing more of me too.

Another advantage is that I now teach English literature at an International State school three times a week (5 x 45 minutes lessons in total). I’ve never done this before, and have had no formal academic involvement with this subject since I got my A grade at A level and Step paper pass when I was 17.

I remember, when I studied subjects at school, wishing I’d received more background insights, however brief, into the wider nature and context of the subjects we studied. What, for example IS English literature, as opposed to Biology, Law, History, Geography? This might seem an obvious question, but trying telling that to the post-modern theorists who consume trees dissecting this matter. I’ve little time for the subjectivity-crushing, cyborg, philistinism of so much literary theory but I do share a taste for getting a broader angle, which I guess in its jargonic way literay theory tries to do too.

Anyway for that reason, and for our first lesson last week, I devised the following quiz, which sought to cover the period of specifically British literature since Elizabethan times. The students are all pretty bright, aged between 17 and 18.


English Literature 16th Century to 20th Century: Quiz

Who is considered the most famous dramatist of the 16th century? Name three of his plays?

In which century did the novel become popular? Which early novel was about a man deserted on an island?

What famous Religious poem did John Milton write, and what was it about? When did he write it (approximately)?

Name me three famous female novelists (from the pre World War II era).

Was Alexander Pope a Romantic poet or was he more Classical? Name me three Romantic poets. What major international events were happening around the time that they were writing?

Which Queen reigned in Britain for most of the 19th century? Which major male novelist from this era wrote books about the social conditions of life in Britain. Name me two of his books.

What do you know about William Blake?

How would you describe the mood and spirit of Britain (and Europe) at the end of the 19th century?

What effect did the First World War have on British culture and identity?

Name some philosophers from the nineteenth century and pre World War I era who massively shaped the course of thought in the 20th century?

What famous British writer (originally from Poland) wrote a book which inspired Francis Ford Coppola to make the film called ‘Apocalypse Now’, starring Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando.

What does ‘stream of consciousness’ mean? What writers displayed this style of writing in their books?

Can you explain the difference between objective and subjective. Are 20th century novels, plays and poems more subjective or objective in their approach?

What was the last book you read in the English language?

What value does literature have? What value does art have? Wouldn’t our time be better spent studying science or economics?


Actually they did pretty well, given that some of those questions were fairly obscure, especially for non-natives. I don’t believe in patronizing students or pretending they won’t know things, as one can always be surprised, as I was. And of course I suppose they went away having learnt something. They certainly knew more than some other adult students I teach, whom I briefly showed it to.

Now I’m teaching them some Shakespeare. I find the text can come alive so much more if you help them with the vocab from the start, and give them the cultural background, and help them with context. And it's wonderful how a consideration of Shakespeare (Anthony and Cleopatra yesterday and Macbeth today) leads so effortlessly into a discussion of key themes in real life and real experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well jonathan seems like you'll be having good time. good luck.