Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I've reached Varna, the Black Sea

Yesterday in a café in Arbanasi, I wrote the following words. I apologise in advance for their 'craziness' and/or for being mistaken, if I am. I am aware that this deep and ponderous self is only of my dimensions. Indeed that I have many 'selves', none of which are fake or pretentious, none of which, to me at least, seem mutually incompatible. This means, however, that when I express myself, such as I do below, in a way particularly suggestive of only one of my selves I feel somehow embarrassed by a suggestion of self-misrepresentation. Yes, this is me, but I am more than this, so to consider this to be me, and only this me, is to be led astray.


In the world to come


There will be no


Money or Trade
Marriage or exclusive love
Egoism or Idolatry


However, People on the material plane will be able to have whatever they want and in whatever quantity they desire (so long as it is available).


Also:


People will not have to work. People will only work if they want to, and if they know what they want to do. People will only ever do work which they want to do.


People's privacy will be an certain prerogative and possession. That said, privacy will be conditioned by the realities of life lived according to the authentic, not the egoistic "I". That authenticity on the one hand will lead those possessing it (i.e everyone) to want to sensitively respect the lives of others; so delicate hands respecting the other will be seen. On the other hand, people will not want to isolate or conceal themselves, since the public domain will itself be infused and animated, suffused and conditioned, by that very same mode of authentic being which inhabits, albeit in a different style, the individual soul. Recognition felt, then, between an individual's inner life and the outer, public life of society will lead people both not to feel the need, in the extreme way we see today, to conceal and demarcate private from public, and to want to share and reveal their inner desires, feelings and thoughts to the greater vitality and richness of that public space. So a different arrangement or 'contract' between public and private will be established, based always on consent and desire, regulated by the inner voice of an authentic, not egoistic, self, attuned to the holistic intelligence of God.


Clearly the above is very utopian, very idealistic. So what? After I finished my after dinner speech at the Athenaeum Club in London to the Society of the Knights of the Round table in 1988, I was told by an elderly gentleman never to lose my idealism. I wonder if the above pleases him.


A Communist, moi? If you want, I don't care for labels. Communitarian certainly. What's in a word? Communist could do as well. But of course since the divine is central, indeed foundational, to my vision, clearly I am world's away from the disastrous experiments in communism of the recent past. Reminiscent more, no doubt, of the social experiments of England during the 17th century Interregnum, but still rather different from them too.


The 'Communitarianism' I speak of belongs to the future, not the present. And it will follow, not precede, a transformation of human consciousness which will itself attend and follow, as we can already see it doing, the collapse of the traditional structures of human society, through a dynamic, not of revolution but implosion.


Marx's great error was to see matter as more fundamental than consciousness; and related to this to suppose that human nature would be changed by a radical reordering of social and economic relations. Because of this error, Marxism was doomed to failure from the start.


He was right however to see human nature as malleable and mutable, unfinished and capable of great things, but wrong to see it as something only needing liberation from an unjust system in order to achieve greatness, justice and freedom. His critique of the world, then, was not deep enough, since he failed to deplore the human subject for what it is in-itself, be that ruler landlord or peasant, merchant or worker.


First the inner life of mankind must change, only then will his outer life be transformed, and the phoenix of a genuinely just world arise from the ashes of a redundant and surpassed world.


It should be a gentle and gracious process, the old making way for the new gradually, not by violent revolution, but when it has been observed that the old has been transcended, that new wine requires new wineskins.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

soldier, don't apologise for saying what you think, unless of course you precede your utterance by grabbing your auditors by the neck and your utterance is then screamed in their face - in that case, yes, 'twould be prudent to apologise at some point. Otherwise, if people don't like what you say, screw them.

Jonathan said...

yeah, I guess I should explain the apologising bit. It's not because of any hesitancy or weakness of resolve on my part, or whatever. Its more that at this moment I have no proof, no scientifically acceptable evidence, of what I say and yet I speak-in tha main part of what I write- as if I am certain, in the manner of some convinced prophet. I want to be that declarative and bold..because I feel this way..and of course want the world to be that way; but then I could be insane -as even you yourself like to say:), in which case it is a lie for me to say (as if it is a fact) that this is how the world to come will be.

..and ok, yes, maybe I was wondering that some of it might shock some people (especially the bit about relationships, which I didnt really unpack but which follows logically from a dissolution of the separate 'ego')

Im different from you Elberry. I find it hard to say or feel 'screw you' to other people, if they disagree with me. Since I feel humanity to be one, and feel myself naturally attached to that oneness, disagreements tend to cause me curiosity and confusion and pose a challenge ultimately, since they ultimately express a single mind wrestling with itself...;so i try to finds ways through misunderstanding and disagreements.

I speak intellectually of course. I tend to be less holstic, mild and all-embracing when my emotions are trodden on by someone. Then my warlike instincts might arise..but even then I'm not proud of it when they do.

anyway, I don't apologise out of servility. Understand that at least..

Besides, Im English..it is MY WAY to apologise!:)

Jonathan said...

shit, sorry if that sounds pompous when I say Im 'different from you'..as if im trying to be smugly superior or condescending..I didnt mean it like that...

Andrew said...

As a quick & loosely relevant comment, Aldous Huxley wrote that perhaps this planet is some other planet's hell.

Jonathan said...

Or of course our own...the place we reıncarnate ınto when we cant go somewhere more cıvılızed.

Andrew said...

And the geniuses are those who perhaps take pity from other worlds...and decide those poor idiots need some help. It'll only be one lifetime of ingratitude & abuse.

Anonymous said...

Though to add another Huxley quote about genius & the like: "Intelligence and knowlege without goodwill and charity are apt to be inhuman."

Jonathan said...

some maybe the genuises to you are then like western bodhisattvas...?

its weird how intelligence and knowledge are so vaunted. Presumably it is because of our general love affair with power and dominance.Being aids of utility, aspects of functionality, Intelligence and knowledge can certainly help you get things up for you in terms of the greasy pole..but their ability to persuade you to be warm hearted is highly debateable.

Always been clear to me that intelligence and knoweldge could be both asboring and dangerous as they might be useful in the arms of a loving heart. Oh well. Hi from Turkey

Andrew said...

But wisdom is as much an aspect of the Absolute as love...in fact they're both ultimately indistinguishable. I don't see it as weird that intelligence should be exalted; knowledge may be a different matter but intelligence comes from being in tune with life. Beethoven said that music was the mouthpiece of God..artists can be the great light-bearers of life in its purity, & people like Van Gogh & The Beatles at tehir finest were essentially Boddhisattvas. The universe doesn't owe its existence simply to love...it's of an order of genius that is infinite. All this with Huxley's proviso, thoguh.

Jonathan said...

Ok, point taken my Lord, though there are different types of intelligence, and perhaps alot of what passes for it today are variants of craftiness, and the ability to exploit gaps in markets and get rich etc. Ive heard of Americans who say...'you're intelligent..so why arent you rich.' Yes, love alone is not the answer, despite what Lennon says, since love must be guided and illuminated by a higher vision ( even psycho-sadofeasters can love their victims, in their own eyes). Such a vision, yes, involves knowledge,but of the right type. Wisdom,I grant, is the highest manifestation of knowledge and is close to true love. Only it can get pompous and ossified if you are not careful, I find. After all, wisdom is related to correct, healthy living in this world. But what if the world changes? So I'd have to insist that divine love precedes wisdom.

Andrew said...

I'd have to insist that the separation of life into various components is a falsity, & if pushed to its nth & seen in its clarity, ultimately schizophrenic.

Jonathan said...

you may be rıghtç but on the other hand we dont want to be too earth-mother holıstıc eıther. As usual ıts a questıon as balanceç dull as that may be for those who lıke sıdes and eıther..or dualıtıes.