Monday, January 1, 2007

2006 in Retrospect

Time at this end of the year to set down some reflections on 2006.

Overall, the year has been like two hills with a valley in between. After recovering from my Dad's death in January, my mood and experiences rose in quality to reach a summit of early July. Then, involuntarily, I ran rapidly down hill, as if in thirst for the draughts of sadness, to the lowlands of mid July through to mid September.

During this period of lowlife, incidentally, and perhaps unfortunately, I took my lovely trip to Japan. Perhaps I’d have sucked more out of the place, more enjoyably, if I'd been at a higher altitude while there. On the other hand, perhaps Japan is a good, therapeutic place to be sad. Going from 'Lost in Translation', maybe Bill Murray would agree.

Anyway, since mid September it's been back up with the clouds, generally speaking, though with a difference. In the first part of the year life was a long heady upward ascent, and the period of walking steadily on a plateau before the descent brief, if non-existent. But now I feel I've been steadily bumbling along on a plateau for the past 2 months or so.

The ascent up this other mountain has been quicker, I think, and less extensive. Now I may not be as high but I feel more securely high (and the air as well is not so thin). My guess is that this security is due to bloggery and the way self-expression has given an outlet for my repressed creative urges, which unmanifested may have left me unbalanced in the past. But that's just a theory, though I suspect it's at least a factor.

I hope I remain on an even plateau in 2007, and would be willing to sacrifice spectacular dramatic peaks to that end. It is in my interest that I don’t descend to too many lowlands, and in the interests of everyone I encounter as well since I'm no fun and selfish when I'm down. Without energy or enthusiasm to give much, a parader of gloom.

I thought I'd give a brief little overview of the year, month by month, in terms of the single highest, or most significant, points or developments of each month. I’d thought of including low points but I find it hard to recall some for some months. In this I seek not to boast about any 'happiness' but to express gratitude to life. In my own times of gloom I've sometimes found such a boasting about happiness in others to be distasteful; and I am aware that happiness can be precarious.

January Taking a trip in a hired car to Derby, UK, to see Rachel, an old university friend, and visiting Nicola and Lee in Northampton.

February Starting leaving appreciated comments at Tanya's website, my Canadian friend whom I met in India in 2005.

March Visiting Nick, my German friend, in Koln and Dusseldorf. Having our various jovial and intense discussions. Saying 'in my opinion' after everything, and finding that funny.

April Moving into my new flat and befriending Jessica, my landlady's plant.

May Visiting my sister and her family in Biarritz with my mother. Paddling in the Atlantic. Also, keeping stray dogs company in Bucharest.

June Entertaining Lee in Bratislava for a few days. Reconnecting with the deep, oceanic wellsprings of our remarkable friendship.

July Starting a blog on My Space and deciding to be less of a hider. Virtually, venturing further from concealment.

August Visiting Japan, appreciating its gentle and orderly culture. Reading Murakami on his home soil and discovering onsens.

September Meeting new Canadian and American friends in Bratislava.

October Discovering the darkage and other blogs. Contributing more regularly to my own. Connecting with people in the blogosphere.

November
Returning to Bosnia after three years, seeing the new Mostar bridge.

December Continuing to meet kind and interesting people in the blogosphere. Also, growing my hair longer than it's been since 1990. Returning once again to France for Xmas, and seeing Barcelona.

No comments: