Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Salut


Christmas day was unusual for two reasons. I didn't go outside and I didn't spend any money. It was refreshing to be isolated, kept busy deflecting the boisterous energy of my two anarchic nephews and the charming, acute questions of my niece.

Other than this I've read from a new biography of Jim Morrison, by Stephen Davis, watched The Meaning of Life and Superman, listened to Christmas carols, Abba and Adam and the Ants, visited some horses (yesterday), kissed lots of French cheeks (relatives of my brother-in-law), blogged and surfed and eaten too much duck, twice. It's also been great to catch up with my sister too, though we've yet to have a deep and proper chat and I hope we can today. Each morning my exotic, kind brother-in-law and I make coffee together in the early hours and enjoy the pre-crepuscular silence.

My nephews still believe in the existence of the red suited, airborne charioteer, so it was sweet and fun to see them get excited by the evidence of his visit on Christmas morning.

I've also thought about watching my new 'Lennon and Harrison' DVD but haven 't got round to it. Maybe today. I must also start reading and ranking the 117 essays I have to finish by Jan 5th for the George Soros Slovak essay competition, and think about how to approach the Eng Lit class I'm teaching on January 4th.

I'll write about Barcelona after I return there on thursday. Enjoy this third day of Christmas, ye citizens of Planet Earth.

For the first time in 35 years, today is no longer my Dad's birthday. Or is that fair? Surely not. Surely it still is? Why not? Just because he's graduated to another dimension doesn't mean he wasn't once born here today, does it?

After all Jesus-Joshua's birthday lives on Millenia after his death, and he wasn't even born on the day we say he was; but I know when my Dad was born and he only died in January.

The sun is about to rise. Are you ready for today?

No comments: